Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kissing challenge

This challenge sounded so easy to me and I looked forward all week to finding time to create a card. I had all kinds of ideas floating around in my mind. The technique is to "kiss" a solid stamp with a patterned stamp inked in another color and stamp over the first stamped image.

Once again, I found the challenge easier said than done. I had decided to use a white base image, using PTI's Fresh Snow ink. When it came to finding suitable stamps, I had a hard time finding a pair of stamps that would work well together. The first image I used was a small flower stamped on Bashful Blue but the pattern didn't show up very well. It's too bad, because I had the card all designed in my head, with more white clouds kissed with a pattern...

I then used a butterfly stamp and kissed it with a delicate design, but once again, the pattern was too faint. I think the white ink just overwhelmed the delicate pattern. (I did try it again using a darker ink, but it still didn't satisfy me.)

I finally ended up using Stampin' Up!'s Upsy Daisy, stamped in Fresh Snow, this time on a dark card stock (Concord Crush). Then I kissed the stamp with the (retired) Canvas background stamp in Concord Crush ink. The darker colors resulted in a more noticeable pattern, even though the flowers themselves were rather delicate.

I also stamped the base card of Almost Amethyst with the Canvas stamp in Concord Crush. The birthday sentiment is from Create a Cupcake. The bit of twill ribbon is from PTI but I don't recall the color; I bought it a few years ago because it matched Almost Amethyst.

I've used this technique in the past and I'm sure I will use it again, but I think I'll wait until I'm inspired by the stamps at hand, rather than try to force it on a Sunday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment